I'm an Aussie Blogger

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Get over it? Yeah, right! I don't think so mate!

Aching body, muscles spasming. Voice so soft but starts to strangle, words are slow. Head pulls back and sideways tilts. Dystonia is its name.

Thickening drinks helps me swallow without that dreadful drowning thing.

In my dreams I long to find some comfort, strength and peace. My constant shaking, muscle spasms and funny voice, others do not understand.

Botulinum toxin gives some relief but not for long this time.

Generations to come need our help now to find a cure for this neurological movement disorder.

Tomorrow and during the coming week, I will write more about dystonia in its many forms. Meanwhile, find out more about dystonia and tell your family doctor, your family and your friends. Many people are misdiagnosed or left undiagnosed for many years.

To be informed leads to better understanding and eventually to a cure. At this time, people with the dreadful symptoms of dystonia are only able to have those symptoms treated. There is no cure - yet.

Sue Bayliss. Cairns, Australia.

No comments: