I'm an Aussie Blogger

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Dystonia: identifying and acknowledging our limitations

Striving to reach our greatest personal, social, academic and or professional potential is encouraged in Westernized societies. Individual success is a highly rated family and community value. Collectivist family values are in contrast to the above. The latter social and family system provides a network where every person’s identity and value is for the common good of all. The former system requires a far greater sense of self responsibility to successfully maintain our personal well being. Therefore, in our individualist family value society, people coping with a chronic illness of any kind are expected to identify, understand and be responsible for personal health status and act accordingly.

Personal responsibility for our health includes knowing and understanding limitations of self in daily life. This may include acknowledging and feeling our anxiety, fear, anger and grief. Success of this largely depends on our image or sense of self within our Westernized community structure.

The sense of our individualized self within the symbolic interaction between ourselves and our world around us may lead us into a realm of exaggerated self expectation. We tend to ignore or at the very least, easily overlook our personal limitations on a day to day basis. As individuals, we may become unreasonable with ourselves when not meeting our mind’s eye image of what we ought to be able to accomplish. Whilst all to frequently forgetting it is okay to make mistakes, there is no requirement for us to meet unreasonable self expectations. It is okay to go easy on ourselves, especially when experiencing pain or discomfort on a regular basis. We can learn and apply skills of self care and management of chronic medical conditions through a change of lifestyle and personal commitments.

For people living with dystonia in its many forms, life can become unbalanced between what we feel comfortable with in daily routine and our perception of what others expect of us. It is so important for us to identify our limitations, live within our capabilities and seek out the companionship of others experiencing the same kind of challenges.

My next article will focus on Dystonia: collectivising our experiences. Please leave a comment or e-mail me if you have something you would like to say.

Sue Bayliss. Cairns, Australia. s.j.bayliss@bigpond.com.au

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 49 years old and have been living with torticollis for years, I have had 2 disc replaced in my neck, caused by torticollis they were crushed. I have plates screws and spacers in my neck now. I have such a hard time living with this pain, even though I have always worked, I was forced to quit working last year, the pain became so bad, I was forced to apply for disability, suggested by my Doctor but I was denied for what reason I do not understand, I have worked since I was 15 years old, I paid that disability in unlike drug addicts they are not denied disability I do not understand. I have enough pain, anxiety, and deppresion caused by the torticollis I don't understand the government. Any advise.

Sophie Lewis said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My husband was diagnosed of cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have Joint pain , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis . I never imagined cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.