I'm an Aussie Blogger

Friday, November 16, 2007

Dystonia and the talented Taylor girls.

While we are preparing for an exhibition of our art and crafts, my sister, three of our cousins and myself are busy planning the event in August, 2008. The venue, foyer of the Atherton Shire Council is booked for the month. Our fathers were brothers belonging to the very large Taylor family from Ipswich. There were nine siblings, all very close to each other. They are now all deceased.

We girls, now the older generation of cousins and aunts, are all deeply spiritual in our beliefs, values and expressions of creativity. Our range of talent covers art, embroidery, patchwork, crochet, knitting, sewing, writing and creative story telling. All these skills are intergenerational. So too are some of our medical conditions! Specifically, cancer.

Some of us are surviving cancer. Many in earlier, present and later generations have not. For me, in addition to surviving breast cancer, experiencing life with dystonia has its frustrations.

There are days when I just want to shrivel up into a little ball, ignoring everyone. Funny voice, shaky hands, twisted neck, aching back, cramps in feet and legs, and a head tremor that goes no-no with an occasional variation of yes-yes! All of this culminates in thoughts that scream "GO AWAY, DO NOT TALK TO ME" every time anyone comes near.

Refocusing on needlework, crochet, knitting and writing brings about a re-creation of my sense of self. Illustrated in this blog are some of the items I have already completed. There are many more. As time goes by I will include them in future articles on this site. It is a fulfilling experience to create something that is meaningful to the individual. These items become an expression of something greater than ourselves but from within our being. Perhaps it is an expression of love.


Go on, have a go. Express your sense of creativity today. You may be pleasantly surprised!


Sue Bayliss. Cairns, Australia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does this mean we're all getting hand mades for Christmas or that therre's no chance in hell because you're saving them all for the exhibition.

Yeah - you Taylor women - exhibitionists the lot of you! I must get my quiet and shy nature from the Bayliss side.

Sue Bayliss said...

Don't know about the hand mades for Chrissy. Don't want to deplete the stock that quickly. Cairns Show comes up just before our exhibition. It wold be nice to manage some more 1st's there! I am enjoying doing all these things. Will make you something nice for your birthday. When is it again? Love you, Mum. XX

MATINA said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!