I'm an Aussie Blogger

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lest we forget.

On 11 November 1918 at 11 am the guns of the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare. This year marks the 89th anniversary of the armistice, when Australians remember those who fought and died for our country in war and armed conflicts.

My father, two brothers, husband, brother-in-law, son, one niece, four nephews and many uncles, all served in the Australian Defence Forces. Most of them saw more than their fair share of war service. They all suffered emotionally - so have their partners, children and grandchildren!

Some years ago my late husband wrote about his experiences. The site hosting his book closed in recent years. However, the Lae Game Fishing Club in Papua New Guinea posted the introduction to his book on their site. You can access it through this link.

My husband lies at rest in Cooktown Cemetery. He has an Australian War Grave.

Prior to my husband's retirement from the Australian Defence Forces in 1976, we spent 109 months out of a total of 188 separated because of service requirements, including war service. Our son David is custodian of his father's writings. David, an archaeologist and a returned serviceman, will be putting his father's book on the 'net in its entirety again in the near future. Some of the photographs require editing and others had not appeared as they were intended. These amendments are being worked on.

In memory of our fallen servicemen, we salute you. May you rest in peace. Lest we forget.

Sue Bayliss. Cairns, Australia.

1 comment:

MATINA said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!